By January 1st, 2012, The Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (“AODA”) will become law in Ontario. http://www.aoda.ca/
All Forest Hill Village BIA businesses are required by law to comply with this Act.
If your company/organization/business provides goods or services and has a minimum of one employee in Ontario, then it must comply with AODA's Customer Service Standard, by January 1st, 2012. The Customer Service Standard requires all companies/organizations/businesses to develop and implement accessible customer service policies, practices and procedures that apply to persons with disabilities.
- Both you and your employees can take a short online course to help you better serve customers with disabilities
Accessibility Standard for Customer Service
Accessible customer service is not about ramps or automatic door openers. It’s about understanding that people with disabilities may have different needs.
The 'Getting Started guide' will help you:
• understand the standard and what you need to do
• create your plan on accessible customer service
• train your staff.
The Accessibility Standard for Customer Service applies to all people or organizations in Ontario that:
• Provide goods or services, and
• Have one or more employees.
It affects these sectors:
To provide accessible customer service, organizations need to:
Step 1: Create and put in place an plan that:
• Considers a person’s disability when communicating with them
• Allows assistive devices in your workplace, like wheelchairs, walkers and oxygen tanks
• Allows service animals
• Welcomes support persons
• Lets customers know when accessible services aren’t available
• Invites customers to provide feedback
Step 2: Train staff
For more detailed information, you can request a copy of the 'Getting started guide', and also read the Employer Handbook.
TTY: 416-325-3408 / Toll-free: 1-800-268-7095